25 February 2013

Combined: Twelve Became Six

The thing about this constant "adjustment phase" that I'm going through is that when I started out last year I was incredibly impatient. I wanted to start my dreads immediately after cutting my relaxed hair off and the 1 inch I started with didn't make it ideal to be choosing section/dread sizes and partings and what not. So I started with a set I didn't know I'd be unhappy with because the majority of what I've learnt has been happening during the journey. Looking back it wouldn't have been possible to create the thick deads I have now with the length I had then anyway, also getting them done at a salon didn't give me full control. But all alterations aside, I am glad that a year later I still want dreadlocks. The important thing is that they'll loc up when they're ready.

I went a head and combed the 12 dreads out and lost a good amount of shed hair but I retained most of the length.


They look huge by comparison but as no one has noticed, even though they're at the front, I think they must blend quite well. At current count I have 57 dreads.

D'you know, the minute I combined them I worried that they were too big...

...days later,

I love 'em.


Newbies:





combined the two in the back

DREADLOCKS ARE A LIFESTYLE

**Photography ownership is held with the blog account holder. DONOT use without permission**

4 comments:

  1. Your dreads and scalp look so healthy. Nice!

    I keep re-sectioning mine too. I'm glad to hear you're doing the same thing too. I'm feeling better now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they've been doing rather well lately. I'm equally glad to know it's natural to alter your dreads throughout the journey. People told me to leave them alone and I know they'd be further along if I had but it was something that needed to be resolved before they'd matured fully. You're one of the several people who ignited my desire for thick locs :D

      Delete
  2. I love the thickies!! So pretty and healthy!! I think size confusion is a natural part of locking. I wanted tiny locs before I started. I split some of mine 2 days after I started to make them smaller... and just finished re-combining some last year at my 1 year anniversary. You're so right about how most of what you learn about locking, you learn from locking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey, getting a lot of love how healthy they look. I hope they are as healthy as they look because I'm not doing a whole lot product-wise lately and I do wonder if this was a good move. Yours have transformed entirely and they suite you very well. Many years more to come :D

      Delete