15 September 2012

Week 23

It's already mid September and I've been almost two weeks without washing my hair on the advice that I should let it be.


do you see that one in the back trying to reach my neck? haha

I'm very much appreciating the length nowadays and can't wait for what will come in the next five months. But for now the autumn winds are beginning turn and I've noticed my locs are loosing their moisture. They puffed up somewhat after a few days at the gym so I chose to retwist them without washing. I saturated my hair with my water bottle and applied castor oil to each dread. I liked the results. My hair felt soft and conditioned once they'd dried. I'm also appreciating the benefits of my satin scarf because it keeps in the moisture even now that we're starting to use indoor heating.

Oh and let me update you on my loc colouring experiment. The few that I coloured are doing well. Of course the hair is weaker and needs special attention but during the summer, while still using sweet almond oil to re-twist and moisturise, I'd already started using castor oil on the coloured locs only. I liked that the castor oil was thick and stayed on the surface longer almost like a gel coating but absorbed well after drying. It sealed in a lot of moisture - I recommend it.

coloured almost three months ago

Do you have an autumn or winter regime you'd like to share?

DREADLOCKS ARE A LIFESTYLE


**photography ownership is held with the blog account holder. DONOT use without permission**

7 comments:

  1. wow, they've grown!!! sweet!!! seriously, they look great!!!

    you're using indoor heating already... wow, that's early... well, i'm more than willing to share some hot air with you if you're willing to share some cold air with me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Seriously where has the summer gone? The days are still bright and crisp but at night it's gotten so cold. I'm only using a single electric heater - can't afford to heat the whole house until December x)

      Sadly postage prices have also rocketed so sending much love and cold via the web :))))

      Delete
    2. "Sadly postage prices have also rocketed so sending much love and cold via the web"

      lol!!! so cute... luvvv it!!! :) :D

      Delete
  2. I hear you with the heating mine is already on.
    I don't wash as much during this period but deep conditioning is a must. Because your locs are still at the baby/ teenaged stage you have to watch the type of conditioners you use, hot oil treatments are good. I am in agreement with you and the water thing. I felt that water/ moisture was Not my friend, because all it meant was unraveling. Now my locs
    are mature me and water are friends but Still not
    close lol.
    Watch the type of head wear you wear during the
    winter months as wool spells lint. Even watch the
    types of neck scarfs you wear as the material will
    absorb the oils from the baby locs at the nape of your neck and cause breakage. Trust me I lost a few locs this way. STAY AWAY FROM WOOL. I know
    it's cheap but the friction damage it causes to us in
    the UK is tearful.
    I love your photos and your loc length, bring back such good memories for me but not experiences. The 6-9 month spell was very trying for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep good summer while it lasted :p

      Thanks for sharing your routine. Much appreciated as I hadn't given much thought to what the colder month would do to my hair. I'm not current;y using a condition though a combination of coconut and olive oil works wonders.

      I'll look out for any some affordable satin lined hats and try to avoid wool if I can help it.

      Stay in touch Natty :)))

      Delete
  3. I was going to say the same thing, Natty: Be careful with your hats/ head coverings in the winter. Line all of your hats with silk/satin and pay close attention to your nape and the friction there.

    I also recommend plenty of protective styles to help trap in moisture.

    Your hair is looking fabulous, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say the same thing, Natty: Be careful with your hats/ head coverings in the winter. Line all of your hats with silk/satin and pay close attention to your nape and the friction there.

    I also recommend plenty of protective styles to help trap in moisture.

    Your hair is looking fabulous, sis.

    ReplyDelete